NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE, TO VOTE OR TO BE SELECTED.
ENTRIES TO THE "ORIGINAL QUOTES" T-SHIRT DESIGN CHALLENGE END AT
11:59:59 PM (Los Angeles, CA time) ON MAY 15, 2012.
- You must be a member of deviantART to submit an Entry or to vote. Membership is free by registration at www.deviantART.com/join.
- You must be age 13 or older at the time your Entry is made.
- You may be a resident of any country in the world.
- Membership in deviantART does not automatically enter you in the Challenge.
- DeviantART staff and volunteers and members of their immediate families may not make Entries for this Design Challenge.
2. HOW TO VOTE:
- To vote for an Entry click the words "I'd Wear This" for the Entry you wish to vote for.
- You may vote for as many Entries as you wish, but you can only vote once for any Entry.
3. HOW TO ENTER:
To enter the Challenge, you must follow these steps:
- Download the assets or templates provided for this Challenge from the links provided on the Design Challenge Page;
- Create an Entry that conforms exactly to the creative and technical instructions for this Challenge in Section 4, below, and that meets the requirements for qualification in Section 5, below;
- Submit your Entry as directed in the Design Challenge Page;
- You may enter as frequently as you like but only one of your Entries may be chosen as a semi-finalist and/or finalist;
- Your Entry will not be returned to you so keep the original file;
- Your Entry must be received before 11:59:59 PM (Los Angeles, CA, time) on May 15, 2012.
4. CREATIVE AND TECHNICAL GUIDELINES:
Your Entry must follow these guidelines:
- Create a T-shirt that features an original phrase or phrases in your own words.
- Use only typographical design elements for your entry; for the purposes of this Challenge typographical design elements are defined as: the technique and art of arranging type in a design that is visually compelling through the selection and use of type faces, point size, line length, spacing and color. Visit DesignInstruct.com for more information on this style.
- Entries may use licensed fonts, fonts provided as "open source" and common font sets made available as part of software and operating systems such as Microsoft WORD, Adobe Creative Suite, Corel Painter or the Font Book on Mac operating systems.
- You must use the t-shirt template (or its equivalent) provided for download at the Design Challenge Page but may select which views to use;
- You must limit your design to only two print areas. The front, back, side and sleeve are each considered separate print areas. The exact specifications for the regions allowed as "print areas" are provided in the Design Template Guide provided for download in the asset pack.
- You may not include any copyrighted, well-known or trademark protected content. For example, you may not quote other people or use phrases that have any fame or noteoriety, such as, "To be or not to be, that is the question." "Just do it." or "Four score and seven years ago…" or any phrases that are not 100% your original creation.
5. A QUALIFIED ENTRY:
To qualify to win this Challenge your Entry:
- Must follow the Creative and Technical Guidelines;
- Must be completely your original work with the exception of the t-shirt template provided to you for download from the Design Challenge Page ;
- May not contain any stock images unless it is stock imagery you yourself have created on your own (licensed stock brushes and textures are acceptable);
- May not have been previously entered or used in any other contest or Challenge in whole or in part or offered for sale;
- May not be a collaboration with another person;
- Must follow deviantART's Etiquette and Submission policies;
- May not contain logos, trademarks, names of other businesses and enterprises or catch phrases associated with other businesses or enterprises. Logos, symbols (such as fella or llama), trademarks and catch phrases of deviantART are permitted;
- May not infringe the copyrights, trademarks or personality rights of any third party;
- Should not contain any artist signatures or watermarks unless intended to be part of the artwork for the Entry and to be judged as part of the Entry;
- May not contain the name and likeness of another person unless he or she will and can sign an appropriate release for the unconditional use of his or her name and likeness;
- Must be submitted to the "Original Quotes" Design Challenge Gallery on or before 11:59:59 PM (Los Angeles, CA, time) on May 15, 2012.
6. YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT:
By submitting an Entry, you represent and warrant:
- That you have the absolute and unrestricted right to submit the Entry as your sole work under the Terms and Conditions of the Design Challenge;
- All images of people or names of people that appear in the Entry, if any, have unconditionally granted to you the right to use their respective names or images for the Entry without any additional compensation to be paid for those rights and you will produce a signed grant on request;
- Other than the assets provided for download from the Design Challenge Page, the Entry and every part of the Entry does not infringe on any intellectual property rights or other property interests of any other person, company or enterprise.
7. YOUR CONTINUING RIGHTS TO YOUR ENTRY:
- You will own all rights to your Entry as if it was a submission to your deviantART gallery, including the right to delete the Entry;
- You will obtain no rights to use any of the assets provided for download from the Design Challenge Page except as part of an Entry made for the challenge which you can continue to display on deviantART as your work even after the conclusion of the Design Challenge;
- If your Entry is selected as a Finalist, you will automatically grant to deviantART for a period of ten years the following rights:
- the exclusive right to use the Entry as a design for and on goods or services including the right to use the Entry to promote the goods or services on which it is used and/or to use the Entry to promote deviantART itself anywhere in the world and in all media;
- the exclusive right to change, adapt, alter and combine the Entry for and in connection with any of the exclusive rights you have granted to deviantART;
- the exclusive right to display and distribute the Entry in any medium throughout the world.
- If your Entry is selected as a Finalist, your original deviation as submitted to deviantART as an Entry will be moved from your gallery to another gallery on deviantART associated with the goods on which the Entry will be used.
- If your Entry is selected as a Finalist you understand and agree that deviantART may adapt and alter your Entry to use it in connection with goods and services;
- If your Entry is not selected as a Finalist, you may continue to post your Entry in your deviantART gallery unaltered and you may otherwise use all or any of the elements in your Entry in any way and in any manner as the copyright owner of the Entry;
- DeviantART may display any Entry until it is deleted as part of or as being associated with the Design Challenge on or off the deviantART website;
- DeviantART may solicit voting and comments in any manner for an Entry submitted to the Design Challenge.
8. SELECTION OF THE THREE FINALISTS AND CASH AWARD:
A. THREE Finalists will be selected and each will be offered $1,500 (U.S. Dollars) for the right to use his or her Entry as set out in section 6, above. Once the Finalist has agreed to accept the cash award, the Entry will be manufactured onto T-shirts to be sold initially by deviantWEAR on the deviantART website. After manufacture, each Finalist will receive 20 T-shirts, which the Finalist may give or sell to others at his or her option. In addition, each time a Finalist's Entry is used on a new type of garment (e.g. a hat or a hoodie) the Finalist will receive an additional $500 (U.S. Dollars) per garment type as a one-time payment. No additional payments will be made for other uses of the Entry (e.g. a sticker or a lanyard)
B. The Finalists will be selected as follows:
- Each Entry once submitted will be activated to receive community votes;
- Voting on the basis of whether a member of deviantART would wear a design on a T-shirt will be permitted on an Entry starting as soon as it is submitted and ending on May 22, 2012.
- Votes may be changed by the voter at any time until the voting period ends;
- Voting will be frozen and tabulated on May 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM Los Angeles, CA, time.
- The top Fifty (50) qualifying Entries measured by number of votes will be considered Semi-Finalist (In the event you have more than one Entry in the Top Fifty (50) qualifying Entries, only your top vote getting Entry will qualify);
- The Semi-Finalists will be presented to the deviantART community and in the event a Semi-Finalist is removed as a result of valid objections to its qualifications, the next Entry in line (e.g.: the 51st ranking Entry) will become a Semi-Finalist;
- DeviantART staff judges will then select the two Finalists from the Fifty (50) Semi-Finalists and a third Finalist selected from all of the Entries from the Challenge. The judges selection will be on the basis of (1) the originality and creativity of the design, (2) the design's appeal as presented on a garment intended for all sizes and genders, (3) the originality and creativity of the phrase or phases used; in whatever proportion the judges believe to be appropriate in reaching a decision.
- The staff judges may consider, but need not consider the number of votes received by an Entry by a Semi-Finalist in determining Finalists;
- The three Finalists Entries will be made available on T-shirts through the deviantWEAR store.
9. VERIFICATION OF FINALISTS:
Finalists may be asked as a condition of his or her selection to sign an additional document to further transfer the necessary rights to his or her Entry and to confirm its qualification. Finalists under the age of legal consent in his or her jurisdiction may require the signature of a parent or legal guardian. Finalists agree to the use of his or her username in promoting the sale of items containing the Finalist's Entry.
The Design Challenge is void in any place where it may be prohibited or restricted by law and will remain available elsewhere in the event a specific jurisdiction restricts it. DeviantART is responsible for conducting the Design Challenge under these Terms and Conditions but will not be responsible for any liability or damages that result to or from any computer, computer system, delay, mistakes or failure in the availability of the website to receive Entries or to receive and tabulate votes. DeviantART reserves the right in its sole discretion, to modify, cancel, terminate or suspend the Design Challenge should any virus, bug, technical failures, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond its reasonable control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Design Challenge.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS DESIGN CHALLENGE OR ITS VOTING PROCESS IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, deviantART RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW AND TO DISQUALIFY ANY ENTRIES SUBMIT BY SUCH AN ENTRANT.
In the event any Entry is found to be fraudulent or an unlawful appropriation of the work of another or in violation of any representation made in connection with the submission of the Entry, deviantART reserves the right to pursue any and all remedies against the member responsible for such an Entry.
Please direct all questions about this Design Challenge here.